The Quarry

On this postcard by Blanchin dating from the 1900’s we can clearly see the quarries and understand why it is very difficult to find any remains of the great city that was Ernaginum.

The stone extracted was used in the construction of many buildings, notably in the 17th century Charity Hospice at Tarascon. The Hospice, which was badly damaged in the bombings in 1944, was demolished and the recovered stone used for, amongst other things, the construction of the embankment for the drover’s path of the Mas Jullian situated at ... St Gabriel. A righteous turn of events.